Iowa State University Custodian II in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Custodian II
Required Minimum Qualifications:• Ability to read, write and follow directions. • One year of custodial or related experience.
Under general supervision, assigns, reviews, coordinates and inspects custodial activities in the area of assignment in accordance with established guidelines. Supervisor is available on short notice to assist in the resolution of problems.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Confers with supervisor and receives written and oral instructions concerning general custodial duties.
• Develops work schedules and directs and inspects daily work routine of other custodial services.
• Maintains inventory of linen and record of linen laundering; maintains inventory of custodial supplies, and keeps and prepares other records and reports as directed.
• Assists in planning procedures and work methods and advises or recommends revision for the purpose of improving the efficiency of operations and services.
• Performs custodial duties as required.
• Interviews and recommends the hiring of custodial personnel, as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of standard cleaning techniques and characteristics of surfaces to be cleaned, and equipment and supplies required.
• Ability to move furniture and objects in preparation for cleaning; to load and unload trash receptacles; to operate safely and properly care for power machinery; to use arm muscles in hand cleaning, mopping, and scrubbing for protracted periods of time; to work on ladders.
• Knowledge of proper bending and lifting techniques and ability to lift and carry 50 pounds.
• Ability to work in a variety of environments including crowded public areas and high and low temperature areas.
• Knowledge of the safe use if chemical cleaning agents and possible hazards relating to environmental sanitation.
• Ability to lead, train and motivate employees.
• Ability to write and maintain routing records and reports such as employee attendance, supply usage, and repairs needed.
Monday - Friday, 4:00 pm to 12:30 am
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date:April 7, 2021
Posting Close Date:April 16, 2021
Job Requisition Number:R4623
Iowa State University (http://www.iastate.edu/) is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community (http://www.diversity.iastate.edu/principles-of-community) .
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com.
If you have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485. Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485. TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942.
General ISU compensation information can be found here:https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation