Iowa State University ERD Machinist- Senior in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:ERD Machinist- Senior
Required Minimum Qualifications:• Two years experience as an ERD Machinist.
Preferred Qualifications:Five years experience as an ERD Machinist.
The Department of Chemistry in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) at Iowa State University is seeking an ERD Senior Machinist. Responsibilities include assisting researchers in design of parts, as well as fabricating and repairing instrument/machine parts for researchers from across the campus. Under general supervision from the department chair, the machinist designs, constructs and repairs research machinery, equipment and apparatus that are not commercially available or are prohibitively expensive to repair externally. The machinist will provide functional supervision of other ERD Machinists as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs skilled work in the construction, fitting, assembling, and disassembling of machines and equipment using shop mathematics, charts, cables, and handbook formulae.
• Entails analyzing a variety of specifications, having knowledge of limits, tolerances and strengths of materials, mechanics, gearing joints, weights and volume.
• Consults in absence of foreman with faculty and staff members to obtain information and specifications relative to the mechanical, electrical, and structural requirements for equipment which is to be built.
• Reads and interprets working drawings, sketches, diagrams and blueprints, and prepares working drawings and blueprints for use by the ERD Machinists in the construction of equipment.
• Inspects work when completed as to correct specifications, dimensions and finish.
• Dismantles machinery and makes emergency repairs on critical equipment as needed.
• Performs lead and silver soldering, fusion arc welding, brazing and acetylene burning.
• Uses electronic and power equipment and other instruments.
• Assists in training apprentices as required.
• Schedules and directs the work of ERD Machinists in foreman's absence, and determines priorities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students and the public.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.
• Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in the trade.
• Ability to interpret and follow instructions and specifications such as blueprints, manuals, sketches and work orders.
• Ability to operate safely and care for tools, machines and equipment.
• Ability to perform a broad and varied range of assembly tasks with precise attention to detail.
• Ability to lift or maneuver up to 100 pounds.
• Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions associated with equipment assembly.
• Ability to perform preventive maintenance and repairs on technical equipment.
• Ability to exercise functional supervision for subordinate and student employees.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date: June 2, 2021
Posting Close Date:June 24, 2021
Job Requisition Number:R5181
Iowa State University (http://www.iastate.edu/) is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities ( AAU ), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community (http://www.diversity.iastate.edu/principles-of-community) .
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com .
If you have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485 . Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485 . TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942 .
General ISU compensation information can be found here:https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation