Iowa State University Plant Safety Patrol Officer - Ames Laboratory in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Plant Safety Patrol Officer - Ames Laboratory
Required Minimum Quals:• Two years experience in security and safety, or A combination of education and experience which provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. • Possession of a valid Iowa driver’s license.
Preferred Qualifications:Additional experience with industrial safety, fire safety, and security.Experience with Simplex fire systems.Experience with C-Cure security systems.
Ames Laboratory, a Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratory, affiliated with Iowa State University, is seeking qualified applicants for two Plant Safety Patrol Officers.
Under general supervision, this position performs duties to protect property and provide for the safety of the personnel of the Ames Laboratory. Main duties include: conducting facility tours, monitoring and responding to fire/security system, and performing shift-specific assignments (i.e., fire extinguisher program, first aid kit/closet inventories, emergency response equipment inspections, emergency response postings).
This position interacts with all Ames Laboratory personnel and the general public. The successful candidate will need to be detail orientated, have the ability to communication effectively, and must possess excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
The hours for this position are:
Week #1: Sunday off, Monday through Wednesday 11:20 p.m. to 7:20 a.m.; Thursday off; Friday and Saturday 11:20 p.m. to 7:20 a.m.;
Week #2: Sunday through Thursday 11:20 p.m. – 7:20 a.m.; Friday and Saturday off.
Schedule repeats weeks 1 and 2.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Patrols and inspects buildings for compliance with federal, state, and local safety and security regulations.
• Reports irregularities to appropriate personnel.
• Provides immediate response to fire, security, chemical, or medical emergencies.
• May be called upon to administer first aid and rescue procedures until appropriate personnel arrive.
• Checks security of buildings in assigned area.
• Records and reports damaged/inoperative windows, lights or equipment.
• Tours assigned areas.
• Checks electronic reporting stations and reports water leaks, gas leaks, fires, or other hazards.
• Keeps unauthorized personnel out of buildings after hours.
• Keeps in touch with other Plant Safety Patrol Officers and contacts local law enforcement agencies when required.
• Monitors plant protection system (JC-85) for indications of fire and security incidents.
• Dispatches the appropriate personnel to incident site.
• Inspects, maintains, tests, and replaces fire extinguishers, fire blankets, self-contained breathing apparatus, communications systems, safety signs, and first aid installations.
• Maintains records of inspections.
• Installs fire extinguishers in accordance with NFPA standards.
• Sets up fire extinguisher equipment for periodic training of personnel and participates in training sessions.
• Participates in fire, tornado, and emergency response drills.
• Ensures buildings are appropriately evacuated and proper emergency procedures are followed.
• Maintains inventory of vehicle, building, and room keys.
• Verifies authorization of personnel and checks out keys to appropriate personnel.
• Maintains records of key issuance.
• Collects, sorts, delivers, and forwards U.S. and campus mail.
• Assists Ames Laboratory personnel with mailing procedures.
• Maintains forwarding files and records of accountable mail.
• Gives directions to visitors.
• Makes announcements on the public address system.
• Provides assistance to other Ames Laboratory departments, i.e., monitors personnel working in remote and unusual areas such as utility accesses or provides courier service.
• Performs vehicle maintenance checks.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of OSHA, NFPA, EPA, USDOE, and other federal, state, and local regulations, guidelines, or policies pertaining to safety and security.
• Knowledge of appropriate lifting methods and other health/safety measures.
• Knowledge of procedures for testing emergency equipment.
• Knowledge of first aid and rescue procedures.
• Skill in operating computers.
• Skill in recording data and information accurately.
• Skill in operating a motor vehicle and emergency equipment.
• Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
• Ability to maintain records.
• Ability to work in an environment with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, heat, and cold.
• Ability to lift/move objects weighing up to 100 pounds.
• Ability to walk six miles per day.
• Ability to climb stairs.
• Ability to differentiate between various audible and visual alarms.
• Ability to react appropriately in emergency situations.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date:June 30, 2020
Posting Close Time:
This posting will close at 12:00 AM CST on the date listed below. The posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 PM CST the day prior.
Posting Close Date:July 10, 2020
Job Requisition Number:R2609
Iowa State University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions about the application process please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485. Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485. TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942.
General ISU compensation information can be found here: https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation.
All postings close at 12:01 AM CST on the date listed. That said, the posting will no longer be available to apply to after 11:59 PM CST the day prior.