Iowa State University Supervisor - Custodian Services (Facilities Planning and Management) in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Supervisor - Custodian Services (Facilities Planning and Management)
Required Minimum Qualifications:• Two years of custodial experience or related building and facilities maintenance, including supervisory experience for a minimum of six months; supervision to include assigning daily work activities, inspecting and monitoring quality or work, and scheduling and coordinating work activities.
Under general supervision, coordinates, supervises, inspects results, and is responsible for the work activities of custodians in accordance with established guidelines.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Interviews and effectively recommends hiring, evaluates employee performance, and effectively recommends disciplinary actions, promotions, merit increases, and termination.
• Develops work schedules and directs the daily work routine of custodial employees.
• Trains and orients new employees; conducts formal training sessions to improve employee knowledge and skills.
• Schedules and approves vacation of employees; conducts formal training sessions to improve employee knowledge and skills.
• Inspects all areas of assignment and completes inspection reports.
• Evaluates, tests, and recommends new supplies and equipment.
• Coordinates relocation of furniture and equipment and movement to and from repair shops and storage.
• Oversees assembly and delivery of new equipment and removal of equipment from inventory.
• Maintains inventory of linen and record of linen laundering; maintains inventory of custodial supplies, and keep and prepares other records and reports as directed.
• Assists in planning procedures and work methods and revises or recommends revisions to improve efficiency of operations and services.
• Is responsible for reporting damage and other irregularities requiring attention or repair.
• Acts upon requests and complaints from departments related to custodial services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of standard cleaning techniques and characteristics of surfaces to be cleaned, and equipment and supplies required.
• Ability to move furniture and objects in preparation for cleaning; to load and unload trash receptacles; to operate, properly care for and make minor repairs on power machinery; to use arm muscles in hand cleaning, mopping, and scrubbing for protracted periods of time; to work on ladders.
• Knowledge of the use of chemical cleaning agents and possible hazards relating to environmental sanitation.
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff, and general public.
• Ability to supervise, train, and motivate employees.
• Ability to understand and maintain routine records and complete reports, such as employee attendance and performance evaluations, production and supplies inventory.
• Ability to accept or reject work results for conformance with requirements and to work productively in an inspection program.
• Knowledge of aseptic cleaning techniques in a healthcare environment to prevent nosocomial infections.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Apply for this position by clicking on “Apply” and completing the Merit Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter details about your education and work history. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date: April 7, 2021
Posting Close Date:April 16, 2021
Job Requisition Number:R4625
Iowa State University (http://www.iastate.edu/) is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities ( AAU ), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community (http://www.diversity.iastate.edu/principles-of-community) .
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you have questions about the application process please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485 . Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485 . TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942 .
General ISU compensation information can be found here:https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation