UnityPoint Health Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or LPN - Rehabilitation in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
This position can be hired at either a CMA or LPN level. Below is the position description for a CMA.
Responsible for providing assistance in the technical tasks of patient care in a clinic setting. Works under the direct supervision of the Lead clinic nurse. Patients to be served include pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric. Responsible for assisting the clinic nursing staff and physicians in providing quality patient care.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical excellence/patient care
· Rooming patients from waiting area to exam room
· Assist with obtaining vital signs, weights
· Assist in the collection of urine samples for drug testing
· Obtains test results on clinic patients, files report in the chart and makes sure physician/nurse has seen results.
· Assist nursing staffing in scheduling of patient’s diagnostic tests and appointments
· Participate in being the phone message nurse.
· Assist with patient transport via wheelchair as needed
· Performs linen changes as appropriate on exam tables in rooms
· Cleans rooms after clinic patient has left and restock room with supplies
· Maintains equipment and supplies
· May draw up medications for the physician/mid-level to administer
· Performs as a team member under the direction of a RN.
· Consults with RN, physician, and/or team members as necessary.
· Complies with established infection control and risk management policies and procedures.
Insurance pre-authorization for medications and procedures
· Performing insurance pre-authorizations for medications and diagnostic tests
Efficient/Effective Clinic operations
· Provides input for work flow process’s in the clinic setting
· Participates in daily clinic huddles
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program
· Entry level position.
· Medical Assistant Certification
· Maintain current BCLS certification.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
· Must be able to successfully complete basic computer course through in-hospital training.
· Must successfully complete in-hospital orientation and competencies.
· Demonstrates skill, organization, and efficiency in performing required patient care activities including maintaining the patients’ medical record in proper order.
SCOPE: Position has supervisory responsibilities? Yes ☐ or No ☒ If yes, complete below.
Number of Employees Supervised (Complete if position has supervisory responsibilities of individuals)
Budget Control (Complete if position has budget responsibilities)
Annual Operating Budget (including payroll)
Other Scope Measurements
Pertinent to the position, such as number of beds, number of units/departments, number of employees leading, cases per month, etc.
(List any special mental and cognitive abilities required by the position in your specific environment)
· Respects patient’s confidentiality in all communication, and fully complies with hospital ethics policy.
· Introduces self to patients, families and colleagues.
· Maintains friendly, courteous and responsible interpersonal communication patterns.
· Verbally presents factual, concise and timely information to the patient care team.
· Exercises sound judgment, seeking advice when appropriate.
· Directs concerns regarding patient care to RN, physician, or clinic manager.
· Objectively directs concerns regarding clinic processes and/or hospital policies to physician or clinic manager.
· Easily grasps new concepts and acquires new skills/procedures readily.
· Must be able to work well with all customers, coworkers and multidisciplinary team members.
· Must demonstrate a cooperative, courteous and dependable working performance.
· Must possess high integrity and maintain confidentiality at all times.
(Check all that apply if essential to perform job – with or without accommodations)
☒ Talk/Hear (communicate, detect, converse with, discern, convey, express oneself, exchange information)
☒ See (defect, determine, perceive, identify, recognize, judge, observe, inspect, estimate, assess)
☒ Stand or Sit (stationary position)
☒ Walk (move, traverse)
☒ Use hands/fingers to handle or feel (operate, activate, use, prepare, inspect, place, detect, position)
☒ Climb (stairs/ladders) or Balance (ascent/descent, work stop, traverse)
☒ Taste/Smell (detect, distinguish, determine)
(Check appropriate category to perform job – with or without accommodations)
☐ Level 1; Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally, and all other sedentary criteria are met.
☐ Level 2; Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree, pushing or pulling arm or leg controls or maintaining a production rate pace. Light work requires physical exertion of forces greater than that of sedentary work.
☒ Level 3; Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
☐ Level 4; Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
☐ Level 5; Very Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of forces occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Hazards and Atmospheric Conditions
(check all that apply)
☒ Normal Office Surroundings
☐ Exposure to Fumes
☐ Mechanical Hazards
☐ Exposure to Dust
☐ Chemical Hazards
☐ Exposure to Extreme Temperatures
☐ Electrical Hazards
☐ Wet and/or Humid
☐ Radiant Energy Hazards
☐ Explosives Hazards
☐ Mists or Gases
☐ Burn Hazards
Precautions must be followed when working in any health care environment.
(Complete this OSHA section for clinical/patient related jobs)
☒ Category I: Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
☐ Category II: Normal routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluid or tissue, but exposure or potential for exposure may occur.
☐ Category III: Normal routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluid, or tissue and as part of their employment, incumbents are not called upon to perform or assist in emergency care or first aid.
Requisition ID: 2020-84915
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: General Therapy/PMR
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday thru Friday varying between 7:30AM to 4:30PM
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org