UnityPoint Health Maintenance Mechanic in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor, this position requires knowledge of all the Electro-mechanical systems of the hospital and its outbuildings. Knowledge of safety equipment to maintain these systems as well as safety equipment used in health care facilities. The incumbent will work from blueprints and use and maintain hand and power tools.
Shall be responsible for the installation, inspection, preventive maintenance, routine maintenance and minor repairs of, but not limited to, mechanical and electrical equipment, communication systems, medical equipment, pneumatic tube system, buildings, plumbing, sanitary, medical gases, sprinkler systems, and fire alarm systems.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Utilizes critical thinking in making independent judgments, and maintains responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned mechanical equipment.
· Understands, observes, and complies with all safety precautions and procedures of the department and hospital.
· Suggestions for improvement of equipment or management policies should be recommended to supervisor/manager.
· Additional training and / or self-development are required to maintain and update skills necessary to operate and repair current and new equipment.
· Performs assigned duties during fire, internal, and external disasters, codes, and drills.
· Participates in department training groups to advance skills and knowledge of equipment and buildings.
Operating and Repairing Mechanical Equipment
· Ensures that good relationships and communications are maintained with patients, visitors, and staff.
· All urgent requests are handled in a timely manner.
· Repairs are made correctly and completely.
· Do minor carpentry, painting, plastering, and electro-mechanical repairs.
· Keep shop and mechanical rooms clean and free of unnecessary items.
· Utilize logs and maintain all documents required in accordance to SOP’s or required AHJ’s.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High school graduate or equivalent
Associates degree in industrial technologies or maintenance/trade school.
5 years of maintenance in commercial setting. Any HVAC knowledge is a plus.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email and web browser.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2018-50104
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Plant Operations
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: varies
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org