UnityPoint Health Neurodiagnostic Technologist in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Performs both EEG’s and EMG’s in St. Luke’s Neurodiagnostic Lab. Utilizes advanced skills and experience to prepare patients and record technically high quality neurodiagnostic testing procedures that are used by the physician in the diagnosis and treatment of central and peripheral nervous system disorders. Contributes technical expertise and clinical knowledge to record complex and specialized studies, to write technical protocols, and to instruct peers, students, and other health care professionals, and the public.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Quality patient care services with EMG’s and EEG’s
· Applies electrodes and other monitoring devices according to laboratory policies and procedures, and ensures their continuous function to produce quality test data.
· Maintains a high degree of clinical and technical knowledge to record routine and portable EEGs on a digital EEG system. Testing includes EEG cerebral inactivity recordings, video EEG monitoring, and neonatal EEG studies; other testing includes Evoked Potentials testing, three modalities: visual, brain stem auditory, upper and lower extremity somatosensory; and nerve conduction velocity studies. Assists the physician with EMG studies.
· Consistently demonstrates attention to detail and following protocols for patient history taking and testing.
· Troubleshoots the instrumentation and the monitors to assess and correct any mechanical or technical problems, and/or seeks medical or technical consultation if indicated. Transports, operates and maintains equipment in a safe and careful manner. Ensures an environmentally safe area.
· Maintains satisfactory technical and professional communication with neurologists and other referring physicians, health care professionals, and laboratory personnel. Works well with all customers and coworkers. Demonstrates cooperative, courteous and dependable work performance. Possesses high integrity and maintains confidentiality at all times.
· Ensures appropriate communications with patients to convey adequate instructions, allay their concerns, and ensure patient safety and comfort at all times.
· Serves as a technical resource person who can independently establish technical protocols, initiate and accomplish trouble shooting and problem solving, and instruct peers and students accordingly.
· Instructs, monitors, and evaluates students in an affiliated, accredited Neurodiagnostic Technology program.
· Possesses sufficient knowledge about the operational and technical policies of the laboratory to assume supervisory duties in the Director’s absence.
· Assists in scheduling test appointments, completing patient charges, and processing and filing test data and reports, as needed. Helps distribute neurodiagnostic test results.
· Assists in maintaining an adequate inventory of supplies and equipment in the laboratory.
· Assumes responsibility for standby call coverage when scheduled.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of an accredited Neurodiagnostic Technology program
· Computer experience required.
· Flexibility in learning and applying new methods of technology
· Prefer ABRET (or equivalent) board registration in one or more of the following neurodiagnostic specialities: EEG or electrodiagnostic’s (EMG’s)
· Prefer 1-2 years of clinical experience in performing EEG’s or EMG’s.
· If not currently Registered in EEG’s or EMG’s must be willing to work towards becoming registered within 2 years of employment.
Requisition ID: 2020-76605
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Varies
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org