UnityPoint Health Recreation Specialist-Child/Adolescent (Part Time) in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
This person will perform a variety of duties involved in the delivery of the Therapeutic Recreation Program. This includes planning and leading groups, charting, staffings, treatment planning, unit and department meetings, in both inpatient and outpatient programs. Assist in completing the recreation assessments within 72 hours. Implementing Coping Skills, Relaxation, Leisure Education, Exercise and Recreation Therapy groups. Assist in training interns and new employees. Participate in unit and departmental staff meetings. St. Luke’s C.A.R.E. delivery model (Continuity, Accountability, Relationship-based, Evidence-based) reflects a commitment to compassionate, competent care delivered by the interdisciplinary team. Care is provided through a therapeutic relationship with the patient and family. A spirit of inquiry is encouraged and supported. Small tests of change and more formal research efforts are used when the evidence is not clear. Evidence-driven protocols are utilized to assure reliable and consistent care.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Must be able to successfully complete a basic computer course through in-hospital training.
· Must successfully complete in –hospital orientation and competencies.
· The associate is aware of hospital and department compliance for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of department or hospital administrative staff.
· Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
· For the safety of our patients and co-workers, St. Luke’s Hospital requires seasonal and job related vaccinations. This is reviewed regularly during periodic health assessments.
· Will complete all required in-services on time. This includes behavior management training, BCLS, safety, and others as required by supervisor or the department.
· Must be able to work with adults and geriatric patients.
· Must be able to work in the Partial Hospitalization Program and Chemical Dependency programs.
· Required to obtain a chauffeur's license to drive hospital vehicles.
· Must have basic knowledge of Therapeutic Recreation. Knowledge of community recreation resources and support services.
· Demonstrates teaching competence in the following areas: leisure education, communication skills, family issues, sexuality, self-esteem, coping skills, stress and relaxation, values clarification, health and fitness, and substance abuse.
· Establish professional competence in the delivery of effective group therapy in a manner, which is consistent with the hospital mission, vision and values.
· Demonstrated ability to maintain profession objectivity.
· Evidences ability to apply professional judgement in assessment, intervention and evaluation for patients.
· Demonstrates skill in the selection of appropriate treatment interventions.
· Prepared meaningful, concise, and timely documentation (flowsheets, charting, activity sheets, stats sheets, scissors count, variances, etc.).
· Shows initiative and insight in suggesting new areas for program development.
· Evidences ability to recognize own strengths and limitations and selects appropriate professional
developmental strategies (supervision, continuing education, etc.).
· Will need to meet the Recreation Therapy needs for the Behavioral Health Division. Will be expected to accept assignments as the needs develop.
· Will need to work flexible hours: day, evenings, weekends and holidays.
· Will be expected to cross train to physical rehabilitation and skilled nursing units.
· Expands the credibility of the position through demonstrated leadership qualities.
· Maintains objectivity in dealing with controversy, difference of opinion or conflict.
· Develops effective working relationships with colleagues and other professionals.
· Utilizes effective verbal skills in communicating with physicians, nurses, and other professionals.
· Practices in a manner which enhances the hospital's environment and image.
· Facilitates cooperative working relationship with others. Is an active and invested team player with other involved disciplines and colleagues.
· Maintains effective working relationship with physicians.
· Actively participates in problem solving in the programs in which he/she is involved.
· Informs supervisor of problems encountered in the delivery of services.
· Actively attempts to insure customer satisfaction. Involves the supervisor as needed.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
· B.A. or B.S. in Recreation Therapy.
· NCTRC certification required.
· Experience working with adult psychiatric patients preferred. Adheres to the Code of Ethics.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· NCTRC certification required.
· Meets professional qualifications delineated by the Recreation Society, JCAHO and CARF standards.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-89123
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Adolescent Behavioral/3E
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.4
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Day/eve M-F
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org