UnityPoint Health RN Care Coordinator/Lactation Counselor - Pediatrics in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
RN Care Coordinator - Pediatrics
As a key member of the interdisciplinary team, contributes important knowledge regarding coordinating team-based care for patients with health concerns by involving the patient, their family, the physicians, and community resources. Also uses nursing skills to educate patients on subjects to include medication, procedures, diet and exercise, and other care requirements.
Please note that this position will also serve as a Lactation Counselor within the clinic. Training and certification for this will be required within 6-12 months of starting the position.
· Coordinate and facilitate patient centered interdisciplinary care and communication, including home health and referring physicians’ around interventions leading to the best outcome.
· Provide regular and consistent follow-up during transitions of care with patient, coordinators and other healthcare professionals in other care settings; including Care Navigators and Patient Care Facilitators.
· Demonstrates competence in the skills necessary to carry out assigned duties.
· Utilize patient registry tools to guide action plan for designated patient populations.
· Identify high-risk patients and intervene with the guidance of the provider to improve outcomes.
· Demonstrate clinical leadership as a role model for other staff and provide direction that ensures top of licensure duties for all team members.
· Utilize critical thinking in making independent judgments related to patient care. Maintain responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patient populations.
· Engage in process improvement work and quality initiatives to ensure efficient, high quality multidisciplinary care is provided.
Education and Disease Management
· Coach and educate designated patient population and family regarding chronic disease self-management and preventative health maintenance using predefined protocols and evidence based medicine.
· Work with patients and families to develop and work towards self-management goals through RN only visits.
· Empower patients and families through education and a trusting relationship to utilize healthcare resources appropriately minimizing unnecessary utilization.
· Provide consolidated information regarding internal and external resources and services including home health and other community support services to patients/families as well as the healthcare team.
· Support provider in meeting chronic and preventive health care needs by guiding patients in collaborative self-management.
· Proactively assist providers and other healthcare team members as patient advocate, ensuring progress toward goal attainment.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Be aware of what is happening in clinic/department and the organization by attending clinic/department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization’s intranet site.
· Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
· Maintain compliance with CLIA, OSHA, Safety and Risk Management guidelines.
· Maintain compliance with Personnel policies and procedures.
· Monitor environmental conditions in order to secure protected health information.
· Behave in a manner consistent with all Corporate Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
· Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Graduate of an accredited program for Registered Nurses
· Meets educational/competency requirements per policy
· Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN)
· Previous clinical experience in a medical office
· Previous process improvement experience
· Previous experience in Care Coordination
· Current license to practice nursing in the state where care is provided
- Earn Lactation Certification within 6-12 months of hire.
· Achieve and maintain certification in Integrated Care Management within 6 months of hire. The organization will fund one class of Integrated Care Management which includes examination. Additional course work and/or exam fees will be the responsibility of the employee
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons
· Person Centered Care (PCC) course completion within first 12 months of hire and annual completion of competency validation activities
· Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability, priority setting, problem solving, conflict resolution, decision-making, work delegation and organization.
· Must be highly motivated and self-directed.
· Must be able to communicate effectively with people of diverse professional, educational and lifestyle backgrounds.
· Ability to understand and apply protocols, policies and procedures.
· Ability to work independently and assume responsibility for timely completion of assigned functions.
· Strong computer skills, interpersonal skills, clinical proficiency and ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-80618
Street: 855 A Ave NE
Name: 9200 UnityPoint Clinic Affiliate
Name: Pediatrics - Cedar Rapids- CR
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday-Friday, Daytime Hours
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org