UnityPoint Health RN-New Graduate Residency (2020 and 2021 Graduates) in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The purpose of the New Graduate Nurse Program is to facilitate the transition from graduate nurse to registered nurse. The New Graduate Nurse participant will work beside a selected RN and work as a team to provide excellent nursing care. He/She will NOT perform nursing responsibilities including, but not limited to medication administration, IV insertions, invasive procedures, order entry and documentation of nursing assessments.
· Attends all mandatory education programs and department-specific education and training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department safety, specific job-related hazards, and regulatory compliance
· Follows the hospital exposure control plans/blood borne and air born pathogens
· Attire is professional, neat, clean and appropriate for the work environment
· Wears proper identification while on duty
· Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management
· Reports to work on time and meets acceptable standard for attendance
· Attends the designated requirement of staff meetings and all mandatory meetings, reads and initials minutes as requested for all staff meetings, and participates in committees as requested
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health FOCUS Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention to team manager. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
· Must have completed an accredited nursing program
· Must not have passed boards yet
· BSN program completion preferred
· Completion of accredited nursing program
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· BLS Certification
· Must be able to meet the competency of unit assigned and also be able to complete orientation requirements
· Must be able to meet reliable attendance guidelines
· Must legally perform the essential functions of the job
· Able to demonstrate the necessary skills and competencies to include medication administration and nursing competencies
· Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, including the ability to communicate effectively
· Able to read, write, comprehend and speak English
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
SCOPE: Position has supervisory responsibilities? Yes ☐ or No ☒ If yes, complete below.
Number of Employees Supervised (Complete if position has supervisory responsibilities of individuals)
Budget Control (Complete if position has budget responsibilities)
Annual Operating Budget (including payroll)
Other Scope Measurements
Pertinent to the position, such as number of beds, number of units/departments, number of employees leading, cases per month, etc.
(List any special mental and cognitive abilities required by the position in your specific environment)
· Handles multiple priorities
· Independent discretion/decision making
· Makes appropriate decisions using critical thinking under pressure
· Manages anger/fear/hostility
· Manages stress appropriately
· Works alone effectively
· Works in close proximity to others and/or in a distracting environment
· Works with others effectively
(Check all that apply if essential to perform job – with or without accommodations)
☒ Talk/Hear (communicate, detect, converse with, discern, convey, express oneself, exchange information)
☒ See (defect, determine, perceive, identify, recognize, judge, observe, inspect, estimate, assess)
☒ Stand or Sit (stationary position)
☒ Walk (move, traverse)
☒ Use hands/fingers to handle or feel (operate, activate, use, prepare, inspect, place, detect, position)
☒ Climb (stairs/ladders) or Balance (ascent/descent, work stop, traverse)
☒ Taste/Smell (detect, distinguish, determine)
(Check appropriate category to perform job – with or without accommodations)
☐ Level 1; Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally, and all other sedentary criteria are met.
☐ Level 2; Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree, pushing or pulling arm or leg controls or maintaining a production rate pace. Light work requires physical exertion of forces greater than that of sedentary work.
☒ Level 3; Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
☐ Level 4; Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
☐ Level 5; Very Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of forces occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Hazards and Atmospheric Conditions
(check all that apply)
☒ Normal Office Surroundings
☒ Exposure to Fumes
☐ Mechanical Hazards
☒ Exposure to Dust
☒ Chemical Hazards
☐ Exposure to Extreme Temperatures
☐ Electrical Hazards
☐ Wet and/or Humid
☒ Radiant Energy Hazards
☐ Explosives Hazards
☒ Mists or Gases
☒ Burn Hazards
Other/Comments: Exposure to violent or potentially violent patients
Precautions must be followed when working in any health care environment.
(Complete this OSHA section for clinical/patient related jobs)
☐ Category I: Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
☐ Category II: Normal routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluid or tissue, but exposure or potential for exposure may occur.
☒ Category III: Normal routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluid, or tissue and as part of their employment, incumbents are not called upon to perform or assist in emergency care or first aid.
Requisition ID: 2020-83920
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Surgical/3 Center Urology
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.9
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Various Shifts Available for All Specialties and Floors
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org