UnityPoint Health Security Officer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
A Security Officer is responsible for providing services that seek to create a safe and secure environment for the hospital community. The Security Officer undertakes activities designed to identify, deter, abate, or correct situations; both routine and emergent that are within the scope of responsibility for the department, as they occur on hospital owned or controlled property.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· The Security Officer will be called upon to perform a wide range of services, both routine and emergent, to enhance and facilitate the overall operation of the hospital. The Security Officer will continually strive to provide all services in a manner that reflects the overall commitment of the hospital to excellence in all phases of the health care delivery system and in a manner respecting the dignity and rights of the individual.
· A high degree of intra-personal communications skills are necessary as the Security Officer must interact with a wide range of individuals exhibiting various behavioral patterns, both normal and abnormal.
· The Security Officer possesses the ability to conceptualize various policies, plans, and procedures in order to adjust and apply them as a reactive response to a specific incident or set of circumstances.
· Recognizing the complex issues of legalities inherent to the security profession, the Security Officer remains cognizant of his/her activities as they relate not only to hospital policy, but also to civil and criminal law, the rules of common sense and reasonable, prudent action. The Security Officer governs his/her reactions to situations based on known policies and procedure, established plans, knowledge and experience, within a framework of reasonable reactive response.
· In order to fulfill the duties and responsibilities required, the Security Officer possesses the general tactical knowledge in those areas of safety and security necessary to meet the challenges of the position.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School Diploma / GED
Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement Degree
Security Officer Experience
Healthcare Security Experience
Law Enforcement background
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
Must possess excellent communication skills
Must be able to work with all customers (associates, patients, physicians, public)
Must be able to perform duties in a multi-task environment with multiple priorities.
Knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws/regulations
Knowledge of Federal Communications guidelines regarding radio traffic etiquette.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2018-49901
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Friday/Saturday (1800 - 0200)
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org