Kirkwood Community College Transportation Instructor-PT in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Cedar Rapids, IA
Continuing Ed/Training Svcs
Kirkwood is looking for several Transportation Instructors to add to our growing, PTDI-certified program! Are you tired of long hours on the road, away from home? Kirkwood offers daytime, flexible hours, work/life balance, and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students each and every day.
The instructor will be responsible for the in truck instruction of the professional truck driving program, both on the truck driving range and on the road. They will be responsible for evaluating and reporting student performance and progress in the identified formats. In this position instructors will work with students at varying levels of proficiency and understanding.
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
Advocate for Continual Improvement- empowering each other to identify opportunities for excellence.
Collaborate with Mutual Accountability- working together with a willingness to take ownership and account for our actions.
Champion Service- anticipating needs and create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment.
Perseverance- commitment to excellence even in the face of adversity or delay in achieving success.
Lead- regardless of title, through positive influence.
• Maintain student engagement in a variety of settings, including: within the truck cab, on the truck driving range, and within the classroom.
• Able to provide information to students through demonstration, written communication, and verbal instructions.
• Complete timely and accurate student performance records
• Perform pre and post trip inspections regularly and accurately
• Perform other related work duties as assigned.
• Provide expert instructional information as related to the transportation industry in a professional method
• Possess a high degree of attention to prevent injury to learners, staff, and public
• Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
Position involves frequent (34-66%) reaching, standing, sitting, talking, visual acuity, and climbing into semi-truck cabs and semi-trailers. Occasional (10-33%) stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, walking, pushing, pulling, grasping and repetitive motion.
Will travel over-the-road with students operating trucks to teach and perform other related work as required.
Potentially subject to extreme heat (temperatures above 90 degrees for periods of more than an hour); and extreme cold (temperatures below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour) to perform duties on the truck driving and safety range.
Potentially subject to noise; vibration; hazards such as moving mechanical parts and electrical current; hazardous chemicals; and fume and odors.
• Minimum of three years professional driving experience over-the-road required.
• Must have valid commercial driver's license (CDL) from the state of Iowa and good driving record.
• Must pass DOT long form physical and drug test.
Kirkwood Community College shall not engage in nor allow unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment. This includes all employment practices, hiring practices, and unwelcome harassment of applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or genetic information. Veteran status will also be respected and protected to the extent covered by law.
Kirkwood offers a wide range of employee benefits. Read more about them here!
Do you have a Class A CDL?
Kirkwood Community College
6301 Kirkwood Blvd SW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 52404