Hy-Vee Food Stores Produce Clerk - General (Drug Store) - Part Time in Des Moines, Iowa
Job Title: Produce Clerk FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: General (Drug Store) Revision Date: 02/2018
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Handles food in a safe manner and ensures the work area is always clean and neat. Reviews the status and appearance of the merchandise for freshness.
Accountable and Reports to: All Store and Department Managers
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee’s designated department or elsewhere in the store.
Makes an effort to learn customers’ names and to address them by name whenever possible.
Assists customers by: (examples include)
· escorting them to the products they’re looking for
· securing products that are out of reach
· loading or unloading heavy items
· making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
· performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
Answers the telephone promptly when called upon, and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
Reviews the status and appearance of the merchandise for freshness.
Ensures an adequate product supply is ready and on hand
Anticipates product needs for the department on a daily basis.
Reviews the status and appearance of the food for freshness and replenishes and rotates product.
Removes trash in a timely manner.
Prepares, finishes, and replenishes product as necessary.
Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
Assists in other areas of store as needed.
Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
Less than High School or equivalent experience. Six months or less of similar or related work experience.
· Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
· Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
· Must have the ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or verbal instructions; deal with a few concrete variables.
· Ability to do simple addition and subtraction; copying figures, counting and recording.
· Possess the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies orally or in writing.
This position is frequently exposed to temperature extremes and dampness. There is possible equipment movement hazards, electrical shock, and exposure to cleaning chemicals and solvents. This is a fast paced work environment.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Knives, cash register, pallet jack, cardboard compactor, and calculator.
Has daily contact with the general public and customers.