UnityPoint Health Certified Medical Assistant-Fort Dodge Family Practice Clinic in Fort Dodge, Iowa
UnityPoint Health-Fort Dodge
Certified Medical Assistant
Full Time Benefits
Fort Dodge, IA
Works in conjunction with a multidisciplinary team to provide care to the needs of patients, inpatients or outpatients who experience problems associated with acute or chronic pain. The patient population may include age ranges from adolescents to geriatrics. Along with Pain Management Center staff will assist in improving continuity of care provided to patients experiencing chronic pain issues. With completing of competency validation will perform circulating and assistant roles in pain procedural suite.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Provides nursing care in accordance with clinical standards.
· Assesses and monitors total physiological, socio-cultural, and spiritual needs of all patient populations.
· Triage appointment scheduling and ensures preference is given to patients in emergency situations. Maintain timely flow of patients.
· Greets patients, screens for appropriate information and prepares them for examination.
· Documents nursing care consistent with documentation guidelines.
· Prepares equipment and supports provider during treatment, examination, and testing of patients.
· Arranges paperwork for referrals and assures that the information is forwarded to the consulting provider.
· Obtains prior authorization for procedures and medications ordered as needed.
· Responds to and refers incoming calls in a timely manner.
· Instructs patients and families regarding medications and treatment instructions.
· Ensures tests and examination results are recorded and forwarded to the provider in a timely manner.
· Inventories exam rooms for necessary supplies and materials and prepares a list of supplies needed. Ensures cleanliness of room(s) and reports any defective equipment in a timely manner.
· Participates in departmental operations demonstrating professional behaviors to support the goals of the department. Maintains awareness of resource utilization.
· Participates in education, quality improvement, development of standards and other related activities.
· Maintains strict confidentiality.
· Adheres to department & hospital dress code and attendance policies.
· Travel may be required.
· Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Successful completion of Medical Assistant program.
Minimum of one year experience in a clinic setting preferred.
Basic Life Support required. Refer to Job Description Addendum. Must
hold and maintain certification of Medical Assistant, American
Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) preferred.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Electronic and mechanical patient care equipment, office equipment, and medications.
PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT: gloves, gowns, protective eye wear.
Requisition ID: 2020-80427
Street: 800 Kenyon Rd
Name: 7020 UnityPoint Health Trinity Regional Medical Ctr
Name: Family Practice- Kenyon Road
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday- Friday, 8a-5p
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org