UnityPoint Health Public Safety & Security Officer-Fort Dodge, IA in Fort Dodge, Iowa
UnityPoint Health-Fort Dodge
Public Safety & Security Officer
7 pm to 7 am 40 hours per week
Full Time Benefits
Public Safety Officers provide positive customer relations with guests, employees, and co-workers while providing a safe and secure environment. The Public Safety Officer undertakes activities designed to identify, deter, abate, or correct situations; both routine and emergent that are within the scope of responsibility for the department, as they occur on hospital owned or controlled property. Assists with patients, visitors, and staff as needed or requested. Records relevant calls, monitors security cameras, and other equipment as directed.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Promote positive customer relations with guests, employees, and co-workers. Assist visitors with locating departments and services.
· Investigate and document all security incidents.
· Monitor conduct of visitors on premises, confront unauthorized persons for questioning as needed
· Manage situations involving persons who are disorderly, uncooperative, mentally unstable, intoxicated, emotionally unstable and/or domestic disputes. Assist with patient restraints when requested to do so.
· Jump‑start and unlock employees' and visitors' vehicles as needed.
· Enforce the parking and smoking policies.
· Maintain confidentiality.
· Relieve the Communications Operator when staffed by one operator.
· Assist with Valet parking as needed.
· Respond to the Emergency Department and other departments as needed.
· Monitor parking lots and grounds. Investigate any activities that may be thefts, vandalism or safety issues.
· Drive hospital vehicles to conduct security rounds at UnityPoint Health-Fort Dodge properties.
· Utilize door access and closed caption TV (CCTV) systems to monitor safety and security of staff, patients and visitors.
· Utilize metal detector to identify potentially unsafe objects.
· Adheres to departmental and hospital policies and procedures.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High school diploma or its equivalent.
Two years’ experience as a Public Safety Officer or related profession desirable
Management of Aggressive Behavior – refer to Job Description Addendum
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Must be able to drive all kinds of vehicles in a safe manner, including manual transmissions. Ability to work effectively with others and to communicate effectively verbally. Integrity, initiative, flexibility and friendliness. Must be able to be covered by TRMC insurance. Demonstrate strong ability to learn, retain and use a wide variety of information to be used in directing anyone presenting themselves for service. Reflect a professional, well-groomed pleasant image to the public. Interacts well with others. Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
Portable radio, fire safety equipment, master keys, pepper gas, communications equipment, computer, CCTV, metal detector, door access and surveillance equipment.
Requisition ID: 2020-81438
Street: 802 Kenyon Rd
Name: 7020 UnityPoint Health Trinity Regional Medical Ctr
Name: Safety & Security
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org