UnityPoint Health Dental Assistant in Muscatine, Iowa
Responsible for assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient oral health care. Responsible for assisting dentists, in coordination with other health care team members, according to Dental Health Center (DHC) policies and procedures. Responsible for data entry and documentation in relation to dental services. The patients served include infant, pediatric, adolescent and adult.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
• Provides professional dental assistant leadership through compliance with established department routines, policies, and procedures.
o Coordinates and directs patient care activities by identifying those activities that require the judgment and skill of a dental assistant.
o Supports chairside services by ensuring proper and efficient steps are taken to complete predetermined procedures and to ensure positive patient care and best outcomes.
• Assistance to the dental hygienist for completion of oral health screenings, application of dental sealants/rechecks of dental sealants and applications of fluoride varnish.
• Assumes responsibility for own professional growth and development.
Continually strives to enhance technical and clinical competencies in all job related duties.- Specialty certifications encouraged. - Participates in appropriated professional organizations.
• Complies with established infection control and risk management policies and procedures.
• Collaborate with the dental hygienist to link children and adults to local dental providers for follow-up care or treatment needs.
• Completion of required documentation and forms to track services provided and seek reimbursement from Title XIX or through the grant contact with IDPH in conjunction with the dental hygienist.
• Assistance to the dental hygienist for providing oral hygiene and instruction/education. Provides educational opportunities to patient, families and other health care associates based on pediatric/adult teaching-learning concepts.
• Frequently uses preventive-focused dialogue with patients, families, and caregivers.
• Assists in the orientation of new associates, dental students and pediatric dental residents by acting as a resource to learner, collaborating with dentists and manager.
• Assistance with completing outreach/promotion on the importance of oral health and hygiene.
• Demonstrates flexibility and self-direction in meeting patient and department needs by respondingas a team member.
• Participate in mandatory education and department staff meetings, per established guidelines.
• Participates in department and hospital-wide committees and performance improvement activities.
• Assists with proper maintenance of dental equipment and assurance of adequate dental supplies
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
• Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
• Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
• Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
• Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
• Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
• Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Requisition ID: 2020-81099
Street: 1609 Cedar St
Name: 6110 UnityPoint Health Muscatine Trinity
Name: Community Med Administrat
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .8
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Tuesday-Friday 8am-4:30pm
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org