UnityPoint Health Homecare/Hospice-Student Nurse Internship-Des Moines/Central Iowa in Urbandale, Iowa
UnityPoint At Home
Summer Nurse Internship Program
- Current enrollment in an accredited ADN or BSN Program
(either entering 4th year of BSN program or last 2 terms of ADN program)
- 10 week hourly paid position. June 1st-August 10th 2021
The RN Student Intern, under the direct supervision of the RN, is responsible for the delivery of safe patient care, in coordination with the healthcare team. The primary role of the student RN Intern is the execution of the nursing process in providing required care and evaluation of care given. Responsibilities include assessment, nursing diagnosis related to focus problem areas, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care. Performance of these responsibilities requires specialized knowledge and core critical thinking skills as well as excellent communication skills.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Assesses the needs of patients and families, providing appropriate teaching and making the necessary referrals to provide continuity of care.
· Collaborates with assigned RN on the development of an individual plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
· Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care and reviews documentation with assigned RN.
· Delivers high quality care utilizing the nursing process while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required on assigned unit in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
· Utilizes holistic approach (considering biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients and families served in the assigned service area.
· Utilizes critical thinking in making independent judgments, and maintains responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
· Responds quickly and accurately to the patient’s change in condition or response to treatment while keeping assigned RN informed.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Current enrollment in an accredited ADN Program
Successful completion of 3rd year accredited BSN Program
GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
Current enrollment in an accredited BSN Program
1 year acute care, home care, or long term Certified Nursing Aide Experience
Current BLS Certification
Mandatory Reporter certificate
Must be able to successfully complete a basic computer course through in-hospital training.
Must successfully complete affiliate orientation and competencies.
Demonstrates proficiency in the manual skills and techniques required to perform basic nursing procedures and operate specialized equipment, under the direction of a RN.
May participate in medication management processes under the direction of assigned RN.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Must be flexible in scheduling
Requisition ID: 2020-84581
Street: 11333 Aurora Ave
Name: 9400 UnityPoint at Home Affiliate
Name: Staff Development
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday-Friday (10 week program)
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org