UnityPoint Health RN - Wound Ostomy Care Nurse- Urbandale, IA in Urbandale, Iowa
UnityPoint At Home
Wound & Ostomy Care Nurse
Full Time Benefits
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, RN – Wound Ostomy Continence Care Nurse applies specialized nursing knowledge to coordinate, direct and provide comprehensive quality patient care for an assigned patient population with enterostomal, wound, skin, and continence management. Collaborates with Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse Specialist, interdisciplinary team to provider evidence-based practice. Delivers patient care directed by the physician as established in the home health plan of care that is consistent with clinical best practices and results in high quality, improved outcomes and exceptional patient experience in a community setting. Maintains a practice environment that reflects the Wound, Ostomy and Continence Society’s standards of care, philosophy of nursing within the structure of the Professional Nurse Practice Model, and nursing philosophy of UnityPoint Health.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Patient Care/Care Coordination
· Collaborates with the Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse Specialist team on patient selection, assessment, plan, and recommendations
· Provides home visits to medically complex or high risk patients with wound, skin, ostomy, or continence related issues and who would benefit from a skilled nurse visit by a Wound Ostomy Continence Care Nurse
· Performs comprehensive wound ostomy continence nursing assessments and evaluation on all patients as a collaborative interdisciplinary team adhering to agency policies and procedures.
· Analyzes existing information in patient’s record, digital media, care plans, clinician conferences, consultations, procedures, history and physical, treatment orders and additional information as necessary.
· Provides high quality and safe delivery of services ordered by the physician and as indicated in the plan of care. Obtains physician orders prior to initiation of care and notifies the physician, nurse case manager and Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse Specialist team of changes in the patient’s condition.
· Provides patient and caregiver education using UPaH approved patient teaching materials as indicated in the plan of care, case manager, and/or physician:
o Treatment and disease management
o Wound, ostomy, continence care management and procedures
o Medications purpose, use, side effects, potential adverse effects
o Proper use, safety hazards, and infection control issues related to the use and maintenance of any equipment provided
o Patient plan of care
o Emergency preparedness
· Evaluates nursing interventions/treatments based upon the plan of care, patient goals for care and provides recommended interventions/modifications to the plan of care through including the patient/caregiver in plan of care decisions.
· Evaluates, selects, and recommends supplies/equipment to promote patient safely, effectively and efficiently to promote optimal healing and maintain cost effectiveness.
· Communicates recommended care plan revisions as a part of the interdisciplinary team to the patient/caregiver, clinician and as applicable, notifies the physicians issuing orders for the home health plan of care.
· Maintains accurate and timely documentation of clinical records and time/travel entries.
· Receives, relays, and documents verbal orders in accordance with state and federal regulations and in a timely manner to prevent adverse patient outcomes.
· Adheres to national WOCN Standards of Practice and evidence based guidelines for assessment, diagnosis, outcome identification, planning and implementation of measures to manage problems related to wound, ostomy, and incontinence issues for assigned patients.
· Identifies patient’s risks for hospitalization and/or emergency department use and proactively intervenes to prevent adverse events.
Quality of Care
· Participates in interdisciplinary team meetings, care conferences or patient visits to address specific patient needs and ensures coordinated and comprehensive care.
· Monitor patient’s wound ostomy continence progress through interdisciplinary care conferences, clinician feedback, report analysis, or software analysis.
· Utilizes evidence based practice and evaluates research pertinent to patient care to keep nursing practices current.
· Participates in the evaluation of clinical practice through involvement with quality performance improvement program related to area of expertise.
· Participate in multidisciplinary and cross continuum professional meetings related to wound ostomy continence population management.
· Delivers comprehensive and maintains accurate clinical documentation of care provided in accordance with home health conditions of participation (CoPs), various payer home health coverage criteria, accreditation standards, professional standards for discipline/credential and the home health plan of care.
· Uses appropriate infection control procedures and safety measure to protect employees and patients.
· Serves as a resource and clinical expert for the care team delivering wound, ostomy and continence management in accordance with nursing practice, operational standards, and National Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing standards.
· Maintain subject matter expertise to serve as a resource for staff providing direct care and case management services to wound, ostomy, and incontinent patients.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Maintains productivity standards as defined by home care supervisor.
· Performs other duties as assigned by home care supervisor and/or administrator.
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, ACHC, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Graduate of State Board approved Registered Nursing program.
· Graduate from an accredited wound, ostomy, and/or continence education program.
· Valid Mandatory Reporter Adult and Child course completion by state(s) requirement.
· Professional continuing education multi-state licensure and national certification requirements.
· Maintains professional certification requirements.
· Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree
· Encouraged to attend professional programs, review professional publications, and to participate in professional organizations related to area of expertise.
· Minimum of 2 years’ Registered Nursing experience in providing care for wound, skin care, ostomy and/or continence needs.
· Home care experience 2+ years nursing experience.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Current nursing license in the states of practice.
· CPR Certification as outlined per policy or obtain certification within three months of hire.
· Completion of Person Centered Care curriculum within first 12 months of hire and annual completion of competency validation activities.
· Wound Ostomy and/or Continence Certification by a nationally accredited certification board.
· Implementation of evidence based practice guidelines for wound, ostomy and continence care.
· Effective written and verbal communication for team collaboration and for educational programs.
· Interpersonal and relationship management for positive and effective interactions with interdisciplinary team, leadership, physicians and visitors.
· Critical thinking and problem-solving skills for clinical assessment, plan of care evaluation and recommendations of evidence-based practice.
· Technical aptitude for office products, electronic health record and virtual products.
· Effectively plans, organizes, sets priorities and completes works assignments with minimum direct supervision per agency policy and within established time frames.
· Adaptability for teamwork, education, interdisciplinary team support.
· Self-development through active participation of state and national professional organizations and wound ostomy continence education sessions.
· Leadership support for program operations related to analysis of program for quality and financial outcomes.
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
· Occasional travel to other UPH, UPC, UPaH facilities, or patient homes with use of company vehicle or own vehicle with approval.
· Maintains proof of auto-insurance.
Requisition ID: 2019-68673
Street: 11333 Aurora Ave
Name: 9400 UnityPoint at Home Affiliate
Name: Centralized Wound Care Ops
FLSA Status: Exempt
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org