UnityPoint Health Certified Medical Assistant-BHGMHC - Monday- Friday, 8a-4:30p, Waterloo Mental Health in Waterloo, Iowa
Certified Medical Assistant
Monday- Friday, 8a-4:30p
Waterloo Mental Health
Full-Time Benefits, 40 Hours/Week
This position provides a range of nursing support services to patients and staff in coordinating care and treatment at Black Hawk Grundy Mental Health Center. Develop, maintain and enhance good working relationships within and outside the Mental Health Center with multiple community partners.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include
duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
Main Function – Patient Care
· Triage functions with patients coordinating with providers, therapists and other CMHC staff regarding the outcomes, recommendations.
· Room patients for providers collecting vitals, updated medication list, etc. entering that information in our EHR.
· Administer Long Acting Injectable medications if necessary and experienced in doing so.
· Monitor patients on Spravato during treatment.
Main Function – Care Coordination
· Coordinate care with MHC staff and providers within the community.
· Complete prior authorizations for medications.
· Complete and process lab requisitions coordinating with patients and others.
· Complete medication refills in accordance with provider directives.
· Answer phones, emails, faxes, etc. within 24 hours.
· Make referrals to other entities as appropriate or directed by MHC staff.
Main Function – Community Relationships
· Meet with pharmaceutical company representatives as a proxy for the providers.
· Develop good working relationships with community entities, e.g. pharmacies, medical offices, hospitals, community providers to ensure quality, professional care and treatment of mutual patients.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
1-3 years in the healthcare field in an office or hospital setting.
Experience in mental health settings
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Certification as a Medical Assistant from a national accrediting body.
Basic knowledge and understanding of mental health conditions.
Ability to develop good working relationships with patients and staff. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively.
Basic understanding and utilization of Electronic Medical Records.
Clear, succinct, meaningful documentation of services provided.
Critical thinking skills and sound judgement.
Experience in providing long acting injectable medications.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-83927
Street: 3251 W 9th St
Name: 2520 UnityPoint Health Allen Hospital
Posting Minimum: USD $16.35/Hr.
Name: MHC - Clinic
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday- Friday, 8a-4:30p
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org