Canadian National Railway Company Locomotive Electrician (Diesel Shop) in Waterloo, Iowa
Locomotive Electrician (Diesel Shop)
Role: Electricians perform inspections, major and minor repairs, overhauls and servicing on all types of locomotives.
Critical performance areas include the following but may vary depending on the location and circumstances:
- Inspect, service and maintain locomotives, in accordance with federal and company regulations, including troubleshooting or repairing, replacing, cleaning and adjusting parts.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose diesel engine malfunctions and make required repairs.
- Assemble and start engines.
- Use test equipment, lubrication equipment and other vehicle repair tools and equipment, and operate said tools and machinery in a safe and efficient manner.
- Prepare inspection, maintenance, and work reports, and record details on prescribed forms in accordance with established procedures.
- Operate locomotive on shop tracks.
- Test locomotives on shop track after repair.
- Work shift work, which consists of: Irregular hours, including nights, weekends, holidays, and occasional overtime.
- Work in a shop environment and outside in all weather conditions
- Occasionally work in confined spaces and at elevated heights
- Frequent stooping, lifting, kneeling, bending, crouching and climbing.
- Minimal travel required
- Valid driver’s license.
- High School diploma or equivalent GED
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position
- Using measuring devices and understanding visual displays.
- Basic technical knowledge of electrical theory and troubleshooting techniques.
- Frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs and occasionally up to 70 lbs
- Displays good hand-eye coordination
- Valid CDL for the class and type of equipment operated.
- Ability to certify company equipment in accordance with state standards.
- Experience troubleshooting hydraulic and electronic systems.
- Welding skills.
- Basic computer skills.
The ideal candidate profile:
- Automotive or diesel electrician experience and/or electrician diploma/apprenticeship
- Ability to work autonomously, adapt to different situations and manage stress.
- Demonstrate good teamwork skills and maintain positive interactions with others.
- Displays good verbal, reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction.
Newly hired Electricians take part in several weeks of training which includes classroom instructions and field training. The classroom training will take place in Homewood, IL at the CN Campus. The training guides the new Electrician through the critical safety skills required to work on the railroad. Once the classroom training is complete, the Electrician will complete on-the job training to enhance his/her knowledge and skills. Successful completion of the training course is mandatory in order to work as a Electrician.
The Electrician is a unionized position and is part of the IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers). Wages, initiation fees, and monthly dues are required as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement.
CN is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.