American Equity Head of Sales, Eagle Life in West Des Moines, Iowa
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB: The Head of Sales for Eagle Life leads the entire annuity sales team to meet or exceed the established growth targets, including responsibility for attracting and retaining top wholesaling talent while establishing key performance indicators to drive performance accordingly. The incumbent helps to create a culture of sales excellence by uncovering opportunities with partner firms, understanding the competitive landscape and leveraging key product positioning strategies. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: • Develops, implements, and effectively executes on annuity sales strategies.
• Participates in the design and oversight of variable compensation plans that align to behavior and productivity expectations and incent performance.
• Establishes productive and professional relationships with key personnel across our national account footprint.
• Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual sales plans, reports, and forecasts.
• Manages the sales channel expense budget including direct and indirect items; accountable for prudent management of expenses by establishing and monitoring a budget in accordance with corporate guidelines.
• Works in partnership with National Accounts to prioritize firm onboarding and creating visibility to support wholesaler efforts.
• Collaborates with the Marketing team to develop and provide feedback on campaigns and go-to-market strategies.
• Monitors and analyzes performance metrics for trends and to make improvements.
• Establishes key benchmarking while creating a framework to assess our talent on an ongoing basis.
• Leads sales meetings to motivate the sales team and to provide them information on an ongoing basis.
• Helps to establish annual sales goals at the business level and down to each wholesaler territory.
• Manages, along with the internal sales desk manager, our internal sales efforts.
• Helps in the creation and curation of sales development and learning objectives to increase aptitude level of the sales organization.
• Leads a diverse team of employees with responsibility for managing the employee life cycle and experience, including but not limited to, selection and retention of talent, continuous feedback and performance management, reward and recognition, corrective action and
• Performs other related work as assigned. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Direct Reports: Manager, Internal Sales; and Managers, External Wholesalers. Indirect Reports: Internal/External sales reps EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: • Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college/university in marketing, business management or related field of study; plus ten (10) years of progressively responsible related sales experience, including five (5) in a leadership role; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience. • Proven track record as a successful sales leader.
• Documented experience developing, training and leading a high-performance sales team. CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATIONS: • Series, 6/7, 66, and 24 licenses required. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: • Ability to coach Sales Managers and Wholesalers to higher performance.
• Thoroughly familiar with financial services, various products and sales concepts across insurance and asset management.
• Ability to understand and analyze sales performance metrics.
• Exceptional customer service attitude with excellent negotiation skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Analytical skills with a problem-solving aptitude.
• Strong management skills to lead employees across different territories.
• Weekly travel or the ability to travel 80%+ of the time is required.
• Mathematical skills and strong attention to detail.
• Ability to work cooperatively and successfully with employees, customers, and other outside third parties.
• Strong organizational and planning skills.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals and technical/operational procedures.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to successfully handle pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.