UnityPoint Health Surgical Technician OR LPN -Maternity Unit-Methodist West in West Des Moines, Iowa
Assists with patient care activities and performs selected perioperative technical procedures under the direction and supervision of a registered nurse. Works cooperatively with other health care team members. Collaborates with RNs and other health care workers to facilitate the delivery of patient care while maintaining standards for perioperative nursing practice in the clinical setting. Successful performance contributes to a holistic approach to the delivery of services, quality patienUfamily care, and a high level of satisfaction from patients and surgical team. Performs procedures for patients after competency determined and provides technical services and support.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
• Assist provider and other clinical staff with obtaining basic vital information, preparing patient for examination, treatment and minor surgical procedures, commensurate with training and education.
• Coordinates activities with registered nurses and other coworkers in planning and implementing care within hospital policies and legal limitations.
• Prepares the operating room for the arrival of surgical patients, assembles equipment, supplies, and instruments for surgical procedures according to preference cards and type of procedure.
• Assists the circulating nurse with patient care activities including transporting patient, surgical scrub prep, positioning, application of cautery ground pad, and tourniquet cuff. Performs urinary bladder catheterizations under the supervision of the circulating nurse.
• Responsible for maintaining the integrity, safety and efficiency of the sterile field. Uses aseptic technique to arrange instruments and supplies. Performs instrument, sponge, and sharp counts.
• Administer non-narcotic medications by oral, IM, SQ, or 10 routes under the order of a
provider or RN.
• Provide education to patients and families using the Teach Back method per protocols and guidelines.
• Assists in maintaining a clean, orderly and safe environment.
• Assists patients with activities of daily living.
• Answers patient call lights.
Assists with simple procedures as defined in work area.
Takes and records vital signs and weights.
Monitors and records intake and output.
Transports patients, equipment, supplies, and specimens including transport of patients with traction.
Assists in maintaining a clean, orderly and safe environment.
Performs procedures specific to the assigned area.
Utilizes a holistic approach (considering physical, psych/social, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area.
Obtains adequate blood specimens as defined in work area.
Labels all specimens in accordance with standards.
Demonstrates ability to consistently meet the department work schedule.
Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service.
Balances team and individual responsibilities, objective and open to other's views, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to positive team goals, puts success of team above own interest.
EDUCATION: Graduate of an approved surgical technology program OR Successful completion of a licensed practical nurse program from an accredited college.
EXPERIENCE:Previous operating room surgical technology experience preferre
Qualifications/LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: Graduate of an approved surgical technology program.Certification by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) within one year of employment. Also accepting LPN's, with Current license to practice nursing in the State of Iowa for Licensed Practical Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse. Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or obtain certification within three (3) months from date of hire.
Prefer reference of stable work history. Prefer knowledge of hospital work setting. Able to function in team setting with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Must read, write, speak and comprehend fluent English. Must have basic computer skills with the ability to advance to intermediate computer skills.
Requisition ID: 2018-51641
Street: 1660 60th
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Posting Minimum: USD $16.39/Hr.
Name: Maternity Unit- West
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 7p-7a; 3 nights a week. every 3rd weekend. 1 summer holiday & 1 winter holiday
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org